Woven VELCRO® Brand Hook & Loop tapes have an electrometric binder coat which firmly locks hooks and loops in the ground weave and helps prevent raveling of the tapes when cut. Due to this coating, many commercial adhesives will not readily adhere to the back of this tape. Therefore, the use of a pre-coated adhesive backing is recommended for the majority of adhesive applications.
Pressure-Sensitive Adhesive (PSA) Pre-Coats:
VELCRO® brand’s four types of pressure sensitive adhesives each have specific performance characteristics. Pressure-sensitive pre-coats are easy to use—simply peel & stick—however, pressure sensitive pre-coats can creep under constant stress or dead load. A general rule of thumb is the greater the tack, the faster the creep; the lower the tack, the better the load-bearing characteristics. Pressure sensitive pre-coats should always be considered semi-permanent bonds.
Creep: the gradual movement or slipping of a material under continual force or stress
Tack: a sticky or adhesive quality or condition
WBC Industries carries VELCRO® Brand Fasteners with four types of Pressure Sensitive Adhesive pre-coats:
0172 Adhesive is an acrylic PSA with high temperature performance and superior bond strength for uses in automotive, computer, medical, and other industries.
- Moderate tack, medium set-up
- High temperature use—operating range of 0ºF to 225ºF
- High strength
- Achieves full bond strength in 24 hours
0115 Adhesive is a rubber-based PSA with a medium temperature range for use in applications requiring fast production turnaround such as packaging, medical, and toys. This adhesive has a light cream color and may show through on white tape.
- Aggressive, high-tack, quick setting
- Achieves 80% bond strength in about an hour, full strength in 30 hours
- Operating range of 0ºF to 120ºF
- Recommended for most room temperature applications
0119 Adhesive is a rubber-based adhesive which offers high performance on polypropylene and polyethylene substrates.
- Good initial tack
- Excellent static shear, aggressive peel
- Operating range of -20ºF to 180ºF
0113 Adhesive is a rubber-based PSA that has an average peel of 14 PSI (pounds per square inch), and maintains this strength when exposed to moisture.
- Strong when exposed to moist conditions
- High tack, quick setting
- Operating range up to 180ºF
How to use Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives:
- Adhesive should be applied at a room temperature of 68ºF or higher for best results. The surface should be clean, dry, and free of oils.
- Use a clean cloth and isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to free surface of contaminates; allow to dry completely.
- Peel release liner from back of tape and apply. (Be careful not to touch the adhesive with your fingers.)
- If adhesive must be applied at room temperatures below 68ºF, first warm the tape and the surface prior to applying. This will help the bond cure properly. (Note: for 0172 adhesive, allow the full curing time of 24 hours before loading or cycling.)
- Pointed corners on VELCRO® Brand hook or loop tape are sometimes detrimental to a good bond. Velcro USA recommends nipping or rounding each corner of the VELCRO® Brand tape to eliminate this vulnerable area.
- VELCRO® Brand adhesive-backed tapes are not recommended for use in water. VELCRO® Brand adhesives are not washable or dry cleanable.